Friday, March 22, 2013

Sometimes the simple unintentional words seem to hurt the most.  What diet are you on?  You don't look sick.  I want whatever you've got so I can loose weight.  You look great for being sick, it can't be that bad.  What's your secret? The list goes on and on.  Wanna know my secret?  I have Gastroparesis.  If I was a selfless person and didn't care about others I would be more than happy to give you my disease so that I wouldn't have to live with this for the rest of my life. 

Gastroparesis is not an eating disorder.  I am not bulimic or anorexic.  I am physically unable to eat more than a 1/2 cup of food at each serving.  I try to eat several times a day but every time I eat, I get sick.  Vomiting, extreme nausea and pain.  You wouldn't think food would cause so much discomfort.  I have to avoid foods such as, whole milk products, fibrous foods like steaks, chops, roasts, dried beans etc. Can't have raw or cooked vegetables.  It is a real pain trying to figure out what I should or shouldn't eat. 

I don't have the stamina like I used to.  I am the type of person who doesn't like to ask for help.  I have a full time job and still do the things I have to do.  However I am weak due to lack of nutrition.  I tend to take a lot of breaks when doing physical work, not because I want to but because I need to.  Huge difference.  My body might be weak but I am a strong individual.  I still don't like asking for help but I receive it with open arms. 

I have been blessed with a wonderful nutritionist.  Thank goodness!  I can not express my gratitude enough.  Please check a website that is sure to help you as well.  www.aliveagainonline.com I am currently taking several things to help me along with my Gastroparesis medication.  Trying to build my energy and protein levels.

On another note, I feel as if I have lost several friends because of having this stomach disease.  Maybe they felt like they didn't understand so they distance themselves from me.  What hurts is finding out that they really were not a friend after all.  Just one who were just passing through like an acquaintance. Friends are to be there for one another, who genuinely care.  The ones who are true friends are the ones worth keeping.  It's time like this that shows ones true colors.  If you had a disease would you want to be left alone or be surrounded with love? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment